<<Return to My Diary

<My Diary Archive 2018 My Diary Archive>

- Woke earlier then up around 8am. 14C in 7C out. Damp and grey . . . laboriously packaged and double boxed up the FT 897 with a covering letter and eventually walked up the post office and got it posted to the repair guy. 16.40 just for regular postage!!! . . returned home and messaged the guy to say it was on its way . . . messed around with my bedside cabinet and the two brass bedside lamps Sis1 once gave me. Drilled and cut out a hole on the top of the (fit for the bin) cabinet and managed to neatly place the fused switch plate flush on the top, clamped in place by the patten box beneath. Found and used a short length of old wire with a plug on the end to supply the power and then soldered together the leads from each lamp and got everything connected up to work off that single switch. Worked out ok. Nice to get that done and be able to much more easily turn those lamps on and off without having to awkwardly reach for the switches right up near the bulbs. . tidied up and vacuumed just a bit before having a lay down for a bit. Couldn't sleep and eventually back up . . . TVd . . . ate tuna and mayo finger rolls with crisps and a banana followed later by jaffa cakes . . . to bed by around midnight.
30 - Woken by neighbour noise again and up around 7:45am. 15C in -1C out. Sunny spells. . . PCd . . rang up a guy in Cornwall who does radio repairs and pretty much decided to send my faulty FT 897 to him. Started messing around finding boxes and bubblewrp etc only to be interrupted by N calling in for a coffee . . popped up the local store for supplies. Also popped in a couple of the local industrial estate stores and bought a single patten box and fused switch for some time having a go at altering my bedside lamps . . ate a cheesee and pastry slice with crisps, a banan and a couple of chocolate biscuits . . slept until around 7:45pm! . . . TVd . . ate bowls of weetabix and then a couple of chocolate biscuits . . to bed before 2am.
29 - Woken by neighbour noise again and up around 7:45am. 15C in 9C out. Blowing and mostly cloudy . . woke at the PC for a couple of hours but felt really rather unwell and ended up laying back down and half snoozing until early afternoon . . C called in for a coffee and to return the 'Livingston Seagull' book I'd leant him - just as I was in the middle of cooking a grated cheese and mayo fried sandwich . . . TVd . . ate two chicken kievs with chips followed by the remaining half of the caramel sponge cake . . immediately asleep in the chair. . woke and to bed around 3am.
28 - Woken by neighbour noise again and then up around 8:40am. 15C in 9C out. Mostly cloudy . . woke at the PC and then mustered the energy to get out and walk a bit. Walked BGdns and ended up sat on the rocks filming the seal for a bit before then heading down around the oil filled harbour and on out to the breakwater. Walked part way out but eventually decided it wasn't very pleasant in the strong breeze and just turned around and headed back to sit on the high seat overlooking it all for a while. Eventually back to the inner harbour and sat for a long while on the harbour steps near the rising waters edge to smoke and drink my coffee . . shopped for a few supplies before heading home. Detoured on the way home and had a good look around the yard of a car sales place. All too expensive for my pocket. . . bumped into the neighbour on the way home and he suggested he would give me a call about him having a look at the car maybe tomorrow night . . . PCd photos and video and eventually posted to FB . . ate (a bit gone off) cold chicken, chips and a going cheap chicken and stuffing sandwhich followed by half a caramel sponge cake . . .TVd/PCd until to bed around 2am.
27 - Up around 9:30am. 14C in 8C out. Wind and rain to start . . woke at the PC. Posted some old photos to FB from ten years ago this day! Holocaust memorial day in fact. . photographed the old garden chain I once found on FGn and posted it as a 'free to collect' on one of the local for sale pages . . . napped. Ended up having a borderline nightmare type dream, but it did at least include Bella for which I was thankful!

. . TVd . . .ate cold chicken and chips followed by chocolate biscuits and then bowls of co co pops . .listened in just a bit when the CRTs were called out quite late to assist the police with a body recovery from the Berry Head quarry - AGAIN!!!!! . . . to bed after 1am.
26 - Up by neighbour noise again around 8:15am. 15C in 5C out. Broken cloud and sunny spells . . . woke at the PC before mustering the energy to finally have a look up the ladder out front at the clanking triband vertical aerial atop the mast. At length I eventually managed to bring the whole lot down to the ground.

Decided to leave the antenna down for the time being because of the state of the fixing point

N called in for a coffee and chats at thankfully a 'convenient' point early afternoon . . finished off putting the shorter mast and long wire back in place and dumped the longer mast and antenna in the conservatory for the time being . . . ate ham sandwiches with crisps . . . N called back in for chats . . . TVd/PCd until early . . . ate bowls of sugary weetabix before to bed around 3am.
25 - Up by neighbour noise just before 8am. 15C in 4C out. Blue sky and big passing shower clouds. . . woke at the PC . . walked up the store for supplies. Discovered the local hardware store unexpectedly has supplies of watch batteries. Returned home and managed to take the old flat battery out of my watch and returned to the store to buy one. Successfully fitted the battery and had my watch working again . .I HAD been trying to brew up to having a go at taking down my wobbly antenna on the front of the house, but my trips to the store had convinced me it was rather too windy for comfort . . the forecast wasn't bad so I decided to take a walk, rather than just sit around being miserable. Walked BGdns, down to the harbour and eventually on out along the breakwater taking photos etc. It was blustery and less than pleasant out along there. Ended up retrieving a couple of washed up fish boxes and an old tyre from the rocks and dragged it all the way back to leave near a bin. A heavy shower caught me before I got back and soaked me. Sheltered for a brief while under thee car park arch before heading back to the harbour and then sheltering some more under the old fish market roof as it poured. Shopped for a few supplies before heading home after the rain had mostly cleared . . . PCd photos and posted to FB . . . TVd . . ate three packs of going cheap pork and stuffing sandwhiches with crisps . . immediately asleep in the chair until gone 1:30am before to bed . . trouble getting back to sleep, tossing and turning for ages.
24 - Woken earlier by neighbour noise, snoozed on then up around 8:30am. 16C in 11C out. Gale . . . PCd . .ate beans with onion on toast . . . retreated to bed . . . popped next door and asked about him having a look at the car with a view to getting it back on the road . . . TVd . . at jaffa cakes . . drank wine and ate boil in the bag kippers and chips followed by chocolate biscuits . . to bed around 1am.
23 - Woken earlier by neighbour noise, snoozed on then up around 8:50am. 16C in 10C out. Wind and rain . . . just sat around feeling very down and not functioning again . ate a banana . . retreated to bed . . . TVd . . ate bowls of co coc pops followed later by two burgers and chips . . escaped to bed at 1am.
22 - Up around 8:20am. 16C in 7C out. Mostly grey . . . messed around with the car all day!!!! Spent an absurd amount of time trying to get the jammed back door to open

washed all the grime off , checked all was working and put a little air in a couple of the tyres before intending to run it up and down the lane just a bit. Just as I was about to do that, something weird happened to the gear lever

TVd . . ate the large amount of remaining stew with bread and butter followed later by chocolate biscuits . . TVd (nonsense on Youtube) until bed around 2am.
21 - Woken earlier by neighbour noise, lay there for a while then up around 9am. 15C in 9C out. Mizzley grey . . aimlessly PCd . . renewed the house insurance despite the inevitable 'screw loyalty' 15% increase for no reason. . sat around aimless . . TVd . . ate stew and bread and butter followed by half a battenburg cake . . . to bed whenever.
20 - Back up around 8:30am. 14C in 6C out. Rain clearing to misty grey . . aimlessly PCd . . . did dish washing chores . . . cooked a minced beef and mixed veg stew . . TVd . . ate stew with four pieces of bread and butter followed later by bowls of co co pops and half a battenburg cake. . asleep in the chair until around 3:30am before to bed. Trouble getting back to sleep.
19 - Woken around 8am by next doors yapping dog. 14C in 2C out. Sun . .woke at the pc . . mum called. I recounted the 'latest' facebook nonsense! . . managed to force myself up the local store for milk and a few supplies . . . forced down a four egg mouldy cheese and chopped onion omlette with a slice of bread . . retreated back to bed . .napped until around 6pm . . . TVd nothing all evening. Ate bowls of weetabix and then mouldy cheese with many bags of crisps . . asleep in the chair until around 3:30am before to bed. Felt rather sick and tossed and turned for hours before a little more sleep.
18 - Woke earlier then up around 8:45am. 14C in 5C out. Sun and showers. . . woke at the PC. My post yesterday about Ipplepen had resulted in multiple PMs offering assistance and lifts etc. Felt obliged to reply to each and thank them - but of course I couldn't possibly take any of them up on it could I!! I DID also get a long reply from the kennels at Ipplepen itself.

They even told me someone had been on the phone threatening to alter their donation in a will as a result of my post!!!!!

I deleted and edited the original post to something apologetic and less 'damaging' and then withdrew from Fb

ate two ham and mayo finger rolls with crisps . . very VERY down . . retreated to bed. . . N called in for chats until gone 10pm . . drank red wine. . ate sausages in beans cold from the tin with crisps followed by chocolate biscuits . . to bed around 2am.
17 - Woke around 7am feeling a bit unwell. Couldn't get back to sleep and up around 7:30am. 14C in 2C out. Mostly clear to start but the threat of big showers again. . put my best fishermans coat in the laundry to wash off all the filth from last night . . PCd the whole day away composing my 'rant' about my Ipplepen visit. Eventually posted it - and then spent the whole evening feeling deeply paranoid . .the woman from Germans shepherd elite called asking some questions and said a home checker would contact me in due course . . .TVd feeling down and awful. Couldn't muster the energy to do food. Ate a box of jaffa cakes and nothing more . . to bed around 1am with a gale blowing..
16 - Up around 8:45am. 14C in 4C out. Sun and showers again. . . Mum called to touch base. . just sat at the PC for hours (ending up looking at dogs) feeling very very down . . eventually just gave up and retreated to bed . . napped for a couple of hours. . . still waking up in front the TV, I gave mum a quick call about a TV show she'd mentioned earlier. During that short call she casually mentioned she was getting a bubbling noise from her sink!!!!!! Oh NO!!!!! From experience, that is likely to mean she has blocked drains! With lots more wind and rain forecast, that made things urgent. This was all the LAST thing I needed!! Grabbed a quick coffee and woke up before reluctantly heading up Mums. Lifted all three man hole covers in her side and front garden and confirmed by seeing with a small torch that the main sewer outlet was blocked somewhere in the front garden. Found a useable length of old hose pipe in the garage and managed to push it all the way up the pipe from the clear manhole near her front garden gate, which proved the blockage had to be tackled from the next manhole up the pipe near her other gate. Used a bucket to empty some of the sewage from the manhole and carry it to and pour it down the clear manhole and then eventually managed to push the length of hosepipe down the pipe which made a small opening and managed to reduce the standing water/sewage level enough to get a better idea of what was going on. It turned out a root from one of the garden shrubs or maybe even next door's hedge had managed to push its way into the manhole and had then sent out a fibrous mass of roots into the pipe, and it was this which had eventually formed a block. Managed to drag it all out - almost a bucket full of unpleasantness!! Working in the dark and occasional rain it was very VERY unpleasant but by shoving the length of hosepipe repeatedly up as many pipes as I could, and then getting Mum to repeatedly pull the flush etc, I eventually had it all cleared and free of obstruction. Buried the bucket of sewage covered plant roots etc in a corner of Mums garden and eventually cleaned everything up as best I could. . a quick coffee before heading home all covered in filth . . put all my clithes in the wash and had a shower . . TVd . . no appetite and just couldn't face doing any food so ended up just eating a pack of crisps, chocolate biscuits and bowls of sugary weetabix . . to bed around 1:30am.
15 - Woken around 8am by next doors yapping dog. 14C in 9C out. Wind and rain. . . PCd the morning away . . ended up walking back to BGdns to have another look around after finding that blood in the gun emplacement yesterday. There were more dumped cider bottles in there (for me to eventually carry to a bin) so that suggested to me that same person was still around. . hung around there for a couple of hours watching all the boats, rainbows and gannet diving into the water after fish . . . PCd . . .N called in for chats . . . ate three going cheap mixed sandwiches followed later by sausages, bacon, eggs and mushrooms with bread and butter and a couple of chocolate biscuits . . immediately asleep in the chair until gone 4am before to bed.
14 - Back up around 9:15am. 14C in 6C out. Grey . . . PCd for a bit. . Mum called . . . mustered up the energy to go for a walk. . . walked BGdns. My usual gun emplacement was a mess of litter and empty cider bottles together with a large amount of blood soaked tissues!! I'd actually taken some old poop scoop bags with me which I'd found in one of my coat pockets, so I started collecting most of up to carry to a bin. Amongst the tissues I discovered a hand written blood stained note reading ""IGnore THE BLOOD. NOT Drugs. Just SaD"!!?!! . . carried all the rubbish to deposit in the first dog poop bin I came to on the way down towards the harbour. . carried on around the harbour and out to the breakwater. .

sat on the breakwater for hours observing and filming the seal. Loads of them about again.

shopped for reduced price supplies on the way home . . .PCd and posted photos etc. . ended up getting a bit up tight about that blood note from earlier and rang the 101 police number to report it - just in case! They put me through to a different number and then suggested I e-mail the images I had.

. . TVd . . drank a glass of red wine while cooking and then ate a large meal of left overs mixed veg, four sasuages, four rashers of bacon and mushrooms followed by a couple of cream filled doughnuts!! . . to bed around 1am.
13 - Up around 7:45am. 14C in 6C out. Grey and blowing . . PCd . . popped up the local store for milk and supplies . . aimlessly PCd the whole day away editing and laboriously uploading to Youtube the footage of trawlers going out in the 'bit' of a sea on the 8th. Even used the laptop in the living room for a bit in some of the uploading 'down time', starting to try to record a few details of my Ipplpen nightmare the other day. . . TVd . . ate two turkey slice and mayo finger rolls, bags of crisps and bowls of co co pops and rice krispies as the PC continued uploading files . . slept on the couch for a few hours until around 2am. . posted links to the final video from the 8th to Fb before to bed. Trouble getting back to sleep.
12 - Woke before 6am to be sick a little before getting back to sleep on and off (thanks to next door's constantly yapping dog) until around 10am. 14C in 4C out. Misty/sunny . . .very down. . . PCd the whole day away editing down some old seal footage that I'd never finished. Got it done and eventualy set it uploading to Youtube for hours . . . TVd . . ate a couple of burgers with buttered mixed veg followed later by jaffa cakes and chocolate biscuits . . . to bed around midnight.
11 - Up around 8am. 14C in 3C out. Sunny . . .left home around 11:30 and walked to a bus stop on the main road.


home just after 16:30. . . PCd and looked carefully at the Animals In Distress website etc . . . sat and ended up having a bit of a cry . .ate a few chocolate biscuits . . . N called in for chats etc . . ate a stack of three tuna and mayo sandwiches with crisps and immediately fell asleep in the chair! Woke and to bed somewhere near 5am.
10 - Up around 8:45am. 14C in 4C out. Blue sky sunny . . . PCd for quite a while only to end up feeling down. As has been the case of late, whenever I feel down I end up looking at rescue dogs on line! I even rang up asking for more details about the black GSD male at Ipplepen!! That one based on a single photo online keeps preying on my mind. Getting there is nigh on impossible without transport . . . set the recent lifeboat videos uploading to Youtube and then walked to BGdns with the guitar on my back. Sat around there for a few hours. Although sunny and pleasant it was still very cold just sitting around like that. Too cold for managing to do anything with the guitar as it turned out. . took a few photos before eventually ending up on the high seat in the dark for my coffee just as the ILB was tasked to rescue a small broken down boat from down by seven quarries. Rapidly towed back to the slipway in the dark, all safe and well . . shopped for supplies on the way home . . . TVd as the files continued uploading all evening. . . ate two garlic sausage rolls with crisps and soup followed by chocolate biscuits and then bowls of rice krispies . . . watched the successfully uploaded lifeboat videos on the TV before to bed around 1am.
9 - Up around 6am! 14C in 6C out. Grey . . rushed straight to the PC only to find it'd apparantly rebooted in the night, AND the anti virus software was warning of a potentialy dodgy file on the system!!! Oh FFS!!!!!!!!! All those hours uploading those files - for nothing? FFS!!! It would appear it was that damned stupid and infuriating Windows 10 update auto reboot thing which has confounded work before. Ludicrous. . PCd posting photos etc from yesterday - and pretty much there went the day . . Mum called to touch base . . eventually set the lifeboat files uploading to the RNLI site again and dared not touch the PC for eleven hours - again!! . . . pottered in the garage for a while having a look at the rotary clothes line I'd scored from the neighbour. Despite it being all new and shiny and 'clever' I soon came to the conclusion that it wasn't as good as my old one! The whole top section of my old one could freely rotate - this one doesn't! The whole thing seems designed to remain fixed. It also sadly doesn't plop straight into the tube I already have cemented in the ground, so is gonna take a little jiggery pokery before I can even start using it. All in all, rather disappointing. Left work on that to some other time . . . napped . . . TVd while frequently keeping a close eye on the PC upload progress . . . cooked and ate turkey slices with roast potatoes, mixed veg and gravy followed later by jaffa cakes and then rice krispies . . .somewhere around 10:30pm the two lifeboat training files DID succcessfully upload so I then set the remaining 'Holly Anne' file uploading as well. Another three hours or so but eventually it succeeded!! . . PCd until gone 4am before to bed.
8 - Woke around 3:45! The 'ALB training part 1' file had finished uploading so posted it and then set the next one uploading before going back to bed. Back up around 7am. 14C in 4C out. Grey and windy
7 - Up around 7am. 14C in 2C out. Windy . . . walked to see the waves over the breakwater etc
6 - Woke earlier then up around 7:30am. 14C in -1.5C out. Mostly clear sky and icy to start . . woke at the PC before putting on double layers and then heading out down through town (with my big lock knife in my pocket!!) and out to the breakwater to maybe join in with a breakwater cleanup which had been advertised on FB.

on the way back through town I shopped for a few supplies and then had a sit down to recover some more before heading home.

Pippet bird

. . . PCd and posted photos . . . drank wine and ate two burgers with chips and coleslaw . . immediately asleep in the chair! . . woke and to bed around 1:30am.
5 - Up around 7:30am. 15C in 5C out. Windy and shower clouds. My tri band colinear on the front of the house is now in big need of attention. It's blowing back and forth in the breeze really badly making a very noticeable clanking sound down the mast!! . . .couldn't face the prospect of just staying in all day waiting to see if the scooter guy turns up later, so mustered the energy to go for a walk. Walked BGdns and hung around there for quite a long while taking photos of boats etc before heading towards the harbour. Filmed a sleeping seal by the laboratory for ages along the way. While taking a few shots of the harbour boats the CRTs were paged to an overdue diver on the breakwater beach. I hadn't intended to go all the way out there but that was too much of a temptation. As it soon turned out, the lifeboat crews had also been mustered but one of them had headed straight for the beach and confirmed the diver had now appeared on the beach safe and well, so everyone was stood down. Sat on the breakwater for a bit taking a few shots as a huge heavy rain shower approached. Running out of time I started to head back. By the time I reached town it was bucketing down and I got pretty drenched. . briefly shopped for a few supplies before starting for home. As I waited to cross the road at the Bolton cross traffic lights I noticed an elderly lady had fallen down on the pavement opposite. A couple of young women rushed to assist as did I. We all helped to get her back on her feet. She was utterly soaked, having fallen in the puddles and heavy rain!

Sat around all up tight waiting for the scooter man, convinced he wouldn't turn up. With tremendous relief, at somewhere around 5pm he DID turn up. He pretty promptly handed me back my 200 and then moved his van up the road to the end of the lane.

Neighbour's rotary clothes line

. . . touched base with Mum and gave her the good news . . . PCd photos for hours and eventually posted to FB. .TVd . . drank a glass of red wine while cooking. Ate two burgers with chips . . . to bed around midnight.
4 - Back up around 8:45am. 15C in 11C out. Grey and somewhat less windy . . .

rang 'Utter Clutter' at 3pm to find out when they would be turning up only to be told she was on the school run! Told to ring back after 3:30

rang back at 3:45 only to be unanswered. Called again around 15:55 to be told 'he's stuck on a removal and suggesting tomorrow instead. I voiced my anger at sitting in all day for nothing and she said she'd get 'him' to call me back. She had an AWFUL attitude/manner

Amazingly he did call back, seemingly apologetic, assured me he wouldn't be messing me around and suggested he'd turn up around 4pm tomorrow!

Dragged the scooter back into the garage again

immediately retreated to bed feeling worthless and oh SO (SId) down. . maybe half snoozed for a short while until the phone had me back up. Just N calling to touch base. . TVd . . ate a tin of baked beans and sasuages with three pieces of bread and butter, some crisps and later bowls of co co pops and a little chocolate . . . to bed around 12:30am.

3 - Back up around 7:15am. 14C in 6C out. Stormy showers. . .PCd. . carefully put the fully charged battery back in and then hung around just waiting for a break in the heavy showers so I could take the mobility scooter out of the garage for a proper test drive. Eventually started to walk it back up the muddy lane (far too many potholes and uneven etc for riding it). I didn't get more than around fifty meters or less before it stopped working!!!

rang the store and they said they'd refund and collect tomorrow

very uptight and down. . touched base with Mum and let her know what was going on! . . . messed around some more with my multi pocket body warmer and roughly sewed the homemade slim jim antenna wire into place inside the lining. The weather had improved a little and rather than just sit around all up tight waiting for tomorrow, I figured I'd just get out for a while and give the antenna a proper test. Made coffee to take and eventually headed for BGdns. Very grey and blustery with passing showers. Mostly hung around sheltering in the usual gun emplacement, taking just a couple of photos. Plenty of ships anchored in the bay sheltering from the bad weather, and gannets spectacularly soaring and diving for fish. There was SO little going on, it wasn't easy to be a hundred percent sure, but the radio antenna appeared to work really quite well. Certainly well enough to continue using it like that. A proper 'side by side' test with another radio using the usual whip antenna will have to wait for a busier radio traffic day. . sat for my coffee under shelter of the roof before eventually heading home . . . N called in for chats until towards 10pm . . . TVd . . ate a turkey slice sandwich with crisps followed by half a battenburg cake . . asleep in the chair until around 4am before to bed. Trouble getting back to sleep and ended up getting back up to be a bit sick. Tossed and turned before eventually getting a little more sleep.
2 - Up around 7:30am. 14C in 7C out. Damp and drizzley grey . . PCd . . .

popped up the local cashpoint to draw some cash out . . . rang up about the mobility scooter advert and said I'd have it. They said they'd deliver within a couple of hours . . did dish washing chores. . guy turned up with the scooter

couldn't get it started. Eventually managed to and headed up the road but it couldn't manage the hill!!!!! . eventually half pushed and drove it down the lane to the garage

removed and put the battery on charge in the kitchen . . a close look with a torch revealed a broken battery connector mount on the fibreglass body part

very down mood. . . TVd . . . ate jam sandwiches followed later by boil in the bag kipper sandwiches and then some chocolate . . asleep in the chair until around 4:15am before to bed as the storm and heavy rain showers continued.
1 - Woke earlier and just lay there for a bit before up around 9:15am. 14C in 5C out. Damp and grey . . . PCd and then pretty much guitarred the whole day away achieving nothing . . I did actually start poking around with the radio when the coastguards and ILB were called out to people cut off by the tide over Goodrington way. For a long while now, I've been tempted to experiment with attempting to wrap one of those homemade ribbon cable slim jim antennas around inside the lining of my multi pocket body warmer for use with the portable scanner! IF it was to work and give me 'adequate' reception, it would be a 'neater' arrangement, avoiding having a visible aerial poking up out of my shoulder. A couple of the breast pockets in that jacket are effectively unused because of bulkier stuff in pockets on top of them, so it seemed reasonable to open up the lining of those pockets and route the cable into the lining by that route - and have a short length of BNC cable emerging from the zip and going straight into the adjacent radio pocket. Messed around soldering on the BNC cable and pushing it all temprarily into the lining and then wandered around the house just a bit, trying to see if it picked anything up. Given how far away most of the comms was during this time, it wasn't much of a proper test, but it DID appear to work to an extent at least. Whether or not it is deafer or better than the usual small whip antenna remains to be seen, but I think it IS worth pursuing - although since I never go out anymore, it's all a bit too late and pointless now. :o( . . . TVd/guiatrred . . .ate half a battenburg cake and then later, four sausages with a four egg cheese omlette and a couple of pieces of bread and butter followed by chocolate . . . listened-in on the radio as all the coastguards and the ALB were called out to search for a high risk missing male at Berry Head. The guy in question allegedly had 'flags' for violence and had tried similar stuff before. It didn't seem to take too long before they found a coat left on the top of the quarry cliff, and then a short while later a body was found below!! Recovery of the body seemed to take forever and I eventually stopped listening and went to bed around midnight.